115 Ihre Behördennummer


Two official formalities are important at the beginning.  Firstly, registering at the citizens' registration office if you are staying in Magdeburg for longer than three months and are moving into a flat in Magdeburg. Secondly, registering at the Foreigners' Registration Office if you are not an EU citizen and come from abroad.

Mitarbeiterinnen in einem Magdeburger Bürgerbüro © Sam Rey
© Sam Rey

Anyone whose stay in Magdeburg is to last for longer than three months is obliged to register with the Citizens’ Office within the first two weeks of taking up residence. For this you will need your passport / personal identity card and confirmation from your landlord. Generally speaking, you must attend the Citizens’ Office in person if you wish to register. Make an appointment in advance online.

The Citizens’ Office will decide whether you are to be treated as an EU/EEA citizen or a non-EU citizen.

EU/EEA citizens:
If you are a citizen of a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area, you will need to bring the following:

Confirmation from your landlord
Passport/Personal identity card
Biometric photograph

In individual cases, you may be required to provide additional evidence such as:

Matriculation certificate or letter of acceptance for students, employment contract for employees
European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and
Prima facie evidence of adequate funding for your living costs (cf. residence entitlement).

You can then apply for an EU Freedom of Movement certificate. It should arrive by post within a few days.

Non-EU citizens:
If you are from a state which is not a member of the European Union, you will need to bring the following:

Confirmation from your landlord and
Passport/Personal identity card.

The BürgerBüro will then issue you with a registration card for your stay in Magdeburg.

Das BürgerBüro

The central Citizens’ Office (Bürgerbüro Mitte) is at Leiterstrasse 2a in the centre of Magdeburg. You can get there by tram routes 2 and 9; the stop you want is Leiterstrasse. There are also other Citizens’ Offices in Magdeburg. Check which one is handiest for you.

N.B.: You cannot attend the Citizens’ Office without first making an appointment. This can be arranged online.

Anyone moving here from abroad must register individually in person. Married couples must produce their marriage certificate in addition to the documents listed above. In the case of children, birth certificates must be produced. If only one parent or guardian attends to register a child under the age of 16, it is possible that the consent of the other parent or guardian may also be required.

Identity documents (papers, passports, identity cards, birth certificates and marriage certificates) should be brought with you.

Once you register at a German Citizens’ Office for the first time, you will be sent a Tax Identification Number (Tax ID) by the Federal Central Tax Office within ca. 5 to 10 working days by post. The Tax ID is required by your employer to pay your salary.

Foreigners Authority

The Foreigners Authority helps foreigners deal with the necessary formalities for their stay in Magdeburg and/or Germany. The agency issues or extends residence permits and issues passport replacement documents.

The state capital Magdeburg is a cosmopolitan city, where some 24,000 foreign citizens live, study and work.

The legal basis upon which foreigners can stay in the Federal Republic of Germany can vary considerably, as a result of which each individual’s reasons for staying must be examined on their own merits. The Aliens Authority will help you deal with the formalities.