How are day care facilities (KiTa) and schooling organized in Magdeburg?
115 Ihre Behördennummer

In Saxony-Anhalt, every child is entitled to receive day care for the best possible start in life. You can find a description of what is available and details of how to apply here (Information sheet on 'Attending pre-school and kindergarten').

Answers for frequent questions from parents about child day care in Germany

Schooling is compulsory from the age of six in Germany. After attending primary school, children go on to secondary school, where they can attain a range of school-leaving qualifications. Find out here (Infomation sheet on 'Registration for school') how to register your child with a school.

Answers for frequent questions from parents about school and education in Germany

Educational and participation fund (Bildungs- und Teilhabepaket -BuT)

The Bildungs- und Teilhabepaket (BuT) (educational and participation fund) is designed to encourage and support children and young people from low-income families. In addition to having their normal monthly requirements met, these children and young adults can also receive additional educational assistance and be helped to participate in the social and cultural life of the community.

Benefits from the educational and participation fund can be used, for instance, for:

Educational needs:

  • (school) excursions / (class) trips
  • school equipment
  • school transport
  • learning support
  • school lunches

Participation in social and cultural life:

  • membership contributions in the fields of sport, games, culture and social inclusion
  • classes in the arts (e.g. music lessons)
  • participation in leisure activities

Children and adolescents in receipt of benefits under SGB II, SGB XII, the Housing Benefits Act (WOGG), child benefit supplement (KIZ) or the Asylum Seekers’ Benefits Act (AsylbLG) may apply if they

  • are under the age of 25, or 18 in the case of sporting, cultural and social activities,
  • are looked after in a day-care facility or nursery,
  • attend a mainstream or vocational school, and/or
  • receive no training allowance.

You can apply for benefits from the educational and participation fund at the Social Welfare and Housing Office and seek further advice there. Application forms may also be obtained from one of the citizens' offices of the City of Magdeburg and returned there following completion.