Where you apply for social benefits and the level of these depends on your residency status (see Information sheet 'Financial support').
Magdeburg Jobcenter (jobcentre) is responsible for helping those who are able to work, but who cannot meet their own living costs or those of their family dependants.
In accordance with the Reception and Residence Act, a variety of benefits is available from the immigration department of the Sozial- und Wohnungsamt (Social Welfare and Housing Agency). This includes wide-ranging assistance which can be allocated on a case-by-case basis, and which is intended to ensure that the recipient can meet their essential living and housing costs. Contact details
Magdeburg-Pass: Social welfare recipients or people on a very low income can apply for this to the Social Welfare and Housing Agency or to a Bürgerbüro (citizens’ centre) in Magdeburg. The Magdeburg Pass can be used for the following:
- Free energy advice from the Verbraucherzentrale (consumer advice centre), and a contribution towards the cost of crèches, after-school facilities and kindergartens
- Reduced fees for courses at the Volkshochschule (adult education centre) and the Stadtbibliothek (municipal library)
- Access to charitable institutions
- Lower fares on local public transport operated by Magdeburger Verkehrsbetriebe (MVB)
- Reduced entry to some of the city’s cultural institutions