Servicenavigation und Sprachauswahl

Twitter Facebook Youtube RSS



Bürger Service kebox Ihre Behördenrufnummer 115





FavoritenAktuelle Seite zu eigenen Favoriten hinzufügen

Postkarte zum Imagefilm

Externer Link: einkaufen in Magdeburg


Externer Link: helpto





Gesellschaftshaus im Klosterbergegarten, ©MMKT

A sensational concept by Peter Joseph Lenné was the design of a public garden on the grounds of the former Benedictine Monastery Berge. His plan of the first German public garden was undertaken between 1825 and 1829. By designing this park, Lenné was able to combine the ideals of harmony between human being, art and nature; in addition, a variety of flowers and plants, the river banks and the face of the city played an important role in the park’s creation process. The classical Society House designed by the architect Karl Friedrich Schenkel was the central point.

The park originally covered an area of 30 ha, but its size was reduced to 10 ha due to the demand for industry and transport. After 1880, the design of the park extensively changed and also the Society House was reconstructed.

In 1895, the engineer and entrepreneur Hermann August Jacques Gruson arranged for the construction of the greenhouses on these grounds in order to create an establishment for his collection of rare and in the meantime endangered species of exotic plants as well as the most comprehensive collection of cacti in Europe. In 1896, his widow - Hermann Gruson died in 1895 – assigned the transfer of the Gruson Greenhouses to the city of Magdeburg; since then the greenhouses have become an attractive visiting point for locals and guests alike.

Only in 1921 was the park renamed as “Klosterbergegarten“. One year later, the artist Wilhelm Höpfner redesigned the Schinkel Hall at the Society House, and in 1924, the staircase was built leading from the small pond with its island to the Klosterbergegarten and up to the Sternbrücke, the newly created southern part of the Friedrich-Ebert-Bridge.

Since the 70s, the public park has been under monumental protection; on the occasion of the 200th birthday of Peter Joseph Lenné (1989), the Lenné bust, designed by the sculptor Heinrich Apel, was erected. Today, the well-maintained park belongs to Magdeburg's treasures of garden architecture. After its reconstruction which lasted until 2005, the Society House - now the seat of the Telemann centre - is again a magnificent piece of architecture. In the splendid Schinkel Hall visitors can enjoy many concerts and recitals.

More Information:
  • View on the Map
Opening hours:         free access, open all year
Admission:                 free
Location:                    Schönebecker Straße 129a,
                                    39104 Magdeburg

- Partner -
Stadtsparkasse Magdeburg
Stadtwerke Magdeburg
WOBAU - Wohnen in Magdeburg
Schünemann Heizung-Sanitär
- Anzeigen -
wg 1893
Die Immobilie
Spreewald Therme und Spreewald Thermen Hotel