Klosterbergegarten

Hilfsnavigation

Servicenavigation und Sprachauswahl

Twitter Facebook Youtube RSS

Hauptnavigation

BürgerService

Bürger Service kebox Ihre Behördenrufnummer 115

Veranstaltungen

Terminsuche

Schnellkontakt

Foren


FavoritenAktuelle Seite zu eigenen Favoriten hinzufügen
Imagefilm

Postkarte zum Imagefilm

Externer Link: einkaufen in Magdeburg

 

Externer Link: helpto

 

Inhalt

The Klosterbergegarten, famous as the first German public garden, was commissioned by the City Council of Magdeburg and erected on the premises of the Berge Monastery which was completely destroyed in the Napoleon Wars. It can be found south of the city centre on the banks of the river Elbe.

The monastery itself was founded in 937, thus dating back to the time of Otto the First, and was erected in 965. Until its final destruction in 1812, it played an important role in the history of Magdeburg even though it stood outside the city walls. This historical site was wisely chosen for the creation of a public garden. Peter Joseph Lenné, a famous garden architect and the creator of Sanssouci, was contracted for the planning of the park. In fact, Lenné had left his mark on many of Magdeburg's park which he created thereafter. Back then, he was fascinated by the idea of creating a public garden and submitted such a convincing design that his ideas were implemented between 1825 and 1835. In 1826 the park was named Friedrich Wilhelm Garden. In 1828, a society house was added to the premises of the monastery after plans by the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel from Berlin, the construction of which was finished in 1829.

The garden became very popular with the "upper class" of the city and the surroundings. Its popularity continued to increase when the Gruson Greenhouses were erected in a corner of the garden in 1895, next to the society house. However competition also grew when a regular horse tram and later electric tram line facilitated access to other parks such as the Herrenkrug park. In 1921, the name of the park changed from Friedrich-Wilhelms-Garten to Klosterbergegarten. The many architectural changes carried out throughout the years were always in accordance with the basic plan laid out by Lenné. The public garden suffered hardly any damages in the Second World War. From the end of the war until 1990 it was renamed "pioneer park" and the society house became the pioneer building "Hermann Matern".

In 1990, the original name was restored and since then some work has been carried out to restore the Klosterbergegarten to its former self.

Size: 11 ha
Opening hours: free access, open all year
Admission: free, dogs must be kept on leash at all times
Parking facilities
Wheelchair access to main areas

Tram no. 2, 8, Gruson Gewächshäuser stop

- Partner -
Stadtsparkasse Magdeburg
Stadtwerke Magdeburg
WOBAU - Wohnen in Magdeburg
Schünemann Heizung-Sanitär
- Anzeigen -
Arbeitsvermittlung Magdeburg
Die Immobilie
Spreewald Therme und Spreewald Thermen Hotel